Customer Applications Engineer
Direct Entry Job Permanent Edinburgh, Dundee, or Bristol, UK
Uploaded 18 Nov 2021
About Bright Ascension
We are a fast growing, innovative company changing the way that software is developed in the space industry. With customers across the world, ranging from universities and space agencies, to commercial organisations and start-ups, our core technologies enable our customers to develop and operate space-based systems and services faster, cheaper and more reliably. Innovation is at the heart of what we do and it is our team which drives that innovation; this is reflected in our commitment to employee ownership, which gives all of us a voice, and a stake, in our current and future success. With offices in Dundee, Edinburgh and Bristol we now have over 30 members of staff and plans to expend to a team of around 50 over the next 12 months. We are at a very exciting time in our ambitious growth plans and have fantastic opportunities for talented individuals to join our team.
We are looking for a Software Engineer with excellent people skills to focus on ensuring that our customers get the most from our products. You will act as a trusted advisor to our customers and as a customer advocate within the company. This is a new position, so there is real scope for the right candidate to define and grow this role, bringing in your own skills and ideas. We expect you will take on a broad range of responsibilities such as:
- gaining and maintaining expert-level knowledge of our products;
- handling technical support requests and managing our help desk system and forums;
- shaping the delivery of user documentation, tutorials, training material and our customer portal;
- contributing to pre-sales material such as blog posts, white papers and FAQs;
- representing the company at trade shows and conferences;
- acting as a ‘customer voice’ or advocate within the activities of the company; and
- taking responsibility for the overall ‘customer journey’.
- We see this role as being full time, although this is negotiable.
- Ideally we would like this role to be based in either Dundee or Edinburgh, to allow for regular interaction with the teams responsible for product management, business development, sales and marketing.
There is a lot of flexibility in this role, with the potential for it to suit anyone from an experienced engineer to a recent graduate.
Essential technical skills
We see the following as essential to the job:
- software development skills, preferably using the C language (however training can be provided);
- the ability to communicate technical concepts including in technical writing;
- a strong appreciation for good software engineering practices; and
- experience in technical support and training.
We're especially looking for someone who:
- can quickly gain the trust and confidence of others;
- will show dedication to customer service;
- possesses excellent verbal and written communication skills, both for internal and external, customer facing, interactions;
- is diligent, highly organised, and attentive to details;
- works well both independently and in a team as part of a fast-paced technical environment;
- wants to make a strong contribution to the business, financially but also in terms of team culture and values. You enjoy making an impact and shaping how businesses operates; and
- is consistently curious, is interested in learning new skills and is open to new ideas and ways of working.
Desirable technical skills
Given the potential breadth of this role, there are many additional skills which could be a bonus. As a starting point, we think that the following skills would definitely be valuable:
- an interest in the space industry, especially in the rapidly-moving “New Space” sector;
- knowledge of, or exposure to, space systems in either a commercial or academic context;
- exposure to and experience with Java and/or Python programming;
- exposure to and experience with real-time embedded systems;
- knowledge of UML and/or other modelling languages; and
- experience with model-based engineering and model-based tools.