Kratos Communications design, build and support satellite ground stations for customers around the world. We have been deploying systems for over 30 years for a wide array of customers from TV to defence. As a system integrator we create systems using both off-the-shelf and bespoke products, some of which are created in house, and some of which are created by other parts of our parent company, Kratos Defense and Security Solutions.
About the Role
As a result of our continued growth, the UK office has a requirement for a Graduate RF Systems Engineer with an interest in communications systems design and/or implementation, and a desire to join the Space industry. They will work with other members of the company engineering team to deliver the company’s projects. The position is part of the company’s technical resource and reports to the company’s Project Services Manager.
The Graduate RF Systems Engineer will be part of the project delivery team, working with the project management team, dealing with technical design and delivery in the systems engineering team.
The role would be primarily based at our Team Valley, Gateshead facility, but will require regular international travel which could last several weeks. Our North-East UK team is relatively small, and therefore the successful candidate will be both visible and able to establish their own reputation within Kratos.
As part of the company’s objective of maintaining continuity from the Customer's perspective our Systems Engineers are often involved in both the tender process and the delivery process. A graduate engineer would be expected to build on their academic studies, with our support, and develop the necessary skills to contribute to these activities. However, the successful candidate can expect to be involved in active project work from day 1.
Tender activities can include:
- Site surveys
- Customer and supplier meetings
- High-level system design
- Cost estimating
- Proposal input and writing
Delivery activities can include:
- Detailed System and Sub-system design
- Evaluation and specification of OEM major subsystems & equipment
- Provision of technical support to the Project Manager
- Project Documentation (Design Review, Test Plan and Procedures, Manuals…)
- Provision of costed technical solutions to customer requirements
- Production of requirement specifications
- Liaison with the purchasing and shipping department
- On-site support to project teams for system commissioning & acceptance testing
- The successful candidate will have at least a level 6 (degree) qualification in an Engineering or Physics discipline
- Strong technical understanding of concepts associated with RF communication systems
- Experience of CAD systems
- Link budget tool experience preferred but not essential
- Ability to interact effectively with technical and non-technical team-mates, in meetings and written communication
- Candidates should be familiar with Microsoft Office products
- Willing to undertake travel, both in country and abroad on missions varying in duration from a few days to a few weeks.
- Legally authorised to work in the UK