Kratos Communications design, build and support satellite ground stations for customers around the world. We have been deploying systems for over 30 years for a wide array of customers from TV to defence. As a system integrator we create systems using both off-the-shelf and bespoke products, some of which are created in house, and some of which are created by other parts of our parent company, Kratos Defense and Security Solutions.
About the Role
As a result of our continued growth, the UK office has a requirement for an experienced RF Systems Engineer with a background of communications systems design and/or implementation, preferably in Satellite Communications. They will work with other members of the company engineering team to deliver the company’s projects. The position is part of the company’s technical resource and reports to the company’s Project Services Manager.
The RF Systems Engineer will help to drive the best practice in the project delivery team, working with the project management team, dealing with technical design and delivery in the systems engineering team.
The role would be primarily based at our Team Valley, Gateshead facility, but will require regular international travel which could last several weeks. Our North-East UK team is relatively small, and therefore the successful candidate will be both visible and able to establish their own reputation within Kratos.
As part of the company’s objective of maintaining continuity from the Customer's perspective our Systems Engineers are often involved in both the tender process and the delivery process.
Tender activities can include:
- Site surveys
- Customer and supplier meetings
- High-level system design
- Cost estimating
- Proposal input and writing
Delivery activities can include:
- Detailed System and Sub-system design
- Evaluation and specification of OEM major subsystems & equipment
- Provision of technical support to the Project Manager
- Project Documentation (Design Review, Test Plan and Procedures, Manuals…)
- Provision of costed technical solutions to customer requirements
- Production of requirement specifications
- Liaison with the purchasing and shipping department
- On-site support to project teams for system commissioning & acceptance testing
- The successful candidate will have at least a level 6 (degree) qualification in an Engineering or Physics discipline
- Strong technical understanding of technologies associated with the design and implementation of satellite ground segment equipment and systems
- Solidworks 2D Electrical preferred but not essential
- Link budget tool (SatMaster for example) preferred but not essential
- Proven ability to interact effectively with customers – in meetings and written communication
- Hands-on experience of satellite communications systems design and/or implementation, together with a proven track record at executing the requirements stated above.
- Candidates should be familiar with Microsoft Office products such as Outlook, Word, Excel, Project and Teams.
- Candidates should also be familiar with working in a company that operates an ISO9001 Quality Management System.
- Willing to undertake travel, both in country and abroad on missions varying in duration from a few days to a few weeks.
- Legally authorised to work in the UK