Spacecraft Systems Engineer
Direct Entry Job Permanent Guildford, UK
Uploaded 9 May 2022
This role is an exciting opportunity to join the Systems team with responsibility to lead space missions from LEO to GEO and beyond. Engineers at SSTL have involvement on a mission from concept, through to AIT, launch, commissioning and operational life; a true cradle to grave experience, and will give you the chance to see your work in Space in a rapid timescale! The Systems Engineer role plays an essential part in leading other technical disciplines, to bring together quality and pragmatic solutions for innovative projects, whilst working within a great team environment.
- System engineer/technical lead on SSTL missions from contract negotiations through to launch and operations
- To work as part of a team to perform mission and system design for missions ranging from LEO to GEO and beyond
- System level design of space and ground segments including requirements analysis, sensitivity analysis, mission analysis and design trade-offs
- To work as part of a team in the production of concepts of operations for missions
- Conduct customer-facing meetings and presentation at all project stages
- Preparation of presentation materials and reports to a high standard for all phases of the project
- Working with the Sales and Engineering teams in support of bid/tender activities to generate technical solutions for a variety of customers
- Support/ lead studies for a variety of customers. Management of these studies to meet technical requirements, and to cost and schedule.
SSTL prides itself on being a super flexible company. The role is based in our Head Office in Guildford but we fully support hybrid working and a range of flexible working options.
Our comprehensive benefits package includes; 32 days Holiday plus Bank Holidays, Pension Scheme with Life Assurance, Private Medical & International Travel Insurance, Annual Bonus Scheme, Share Incentive Plan, Enhanced Maternity, Paternity & Shared Parental Pay for new parents, High Street Discount Scheme and many more!
SSTL supports applications requiring a UK Skilled Worker Visa and sponsorship is available for this role.
- Experience as a technical lead on a space mission project
- Proven experienced spacecraft Systems Engineer
- Experience of designing space missions starting from end-user requirements (ideally cradle to grave)
- Experience of designing and analysing space and ground segments to the sub-system level
- Ideally with experience of downstream spacecraft level testing
- Ideally with system experience of commissioning
- Experience in requirements and verification management
Qualifications, Knowledge & Skills
- Degree or equivalent in Engineering, Physics or Maths
- Excellent technical writing and presentation (generating and delivering) skills
- Good knowledge or awareness of orbit analysis, constellation configurations, RF link analysis, system budgets, operations, ground segment, space environment and satellite mechanical and electrical architectures
- Good knowledge of a wide range of satellite applications, e.g. Earth observation, communications, science etc
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight timescales
- Good knowledge of requirements management
- Good knowledge of FMECA’s and FDIR design
- Excellent knowledge of MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Excellent knowledge of STK and Matlab or equivalent analysis tools
- Hands on familiarity with environmental testing (eg vibration and thermal vacuum tests)
- Good knowledge of assembly and test methods for space flight equipment
- Some knowledge of MS Project or equivalent planning tool
Other Jobs at Surrey Satellite Technology
No jobs currently available.