Want to invent the future of the Space Industry? You have come to the right place. We fundamentally believe that our PocketQube satellites can radically transform the small space sector by providing innovative solutions to real-world problems using technology that is more accessible than traditional satellites. We need super ambitious, driven and bright minds to make this a reality.
Alba Orbital is the world leader in PocketQube satellites and is one of the UK’s most innovative companies. We are looking to add a Mechanical Engineer to our small, highly driven team, to support the design and development of Alba Orbitals UNICORN satellites, spacecraft deployment systems and other commercial activities. You will be tasked with developing innovative design solutions in the development of new structures, mechanical actuators and mechanisms for current and future satellite missions.
The successful candidate will take a lead role in all aspects of mechanical design while working with the team to ensure that projects meet the highest technical standards while meeting the quality, cost, safety and time requirements. You will be involved in the design, creating assembly procedures and mechanical environmental testing.
The ideal candidate should have experience designing structures and mechanisms, be capable of performing structural and thermal analysis, effectively communicate with 3rd party manufacturers and work within a multi-disciplined team.
Qualifications and Experience required
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering or similar degree or work experience.
- Minimum 2 years experience in a similar role.
- Manufacturing principles for precision parts (CNC, 3D printing, laser cutting etc).
- Experience developing mechanical and electro-mechanical mechanisms and actuators.
- Experience in material and coating selection for space applications.
- Justification of designs through first-principle calculations, structural, dynamic and thermal analysis and testing.
- Experience using CAD for the design and generation of detailed layout drawings for the production of mechanical parts and assemblies.
- Ability to work independently with minimal support and collaborate with interdisciplinary teams.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.