We are looking for an experienced Propulsion Design and Test Engineer to join Orbex, this constitutes a highly versatile position which will expose you to most facets of liquid propulsion systems engineering. You will typically be responsible for the execution of individual work packages in close collaboration with senior engineers and technicians with activities ranging from all the way from conceptual design to qualification testing.
It is essential that applicants have both practical and theoretical experience in rocketry, it is likely that you have experience designing but also in robust testing procedures, ideally hot fire tests or similar.
Core duties and responsibilities of the Propulsion Design and Test Engineer role typically include:
• Design, development and AIT activities on launch vehicle propulsion systems, hereunder e.g. main stage propulsion, turbo-machinery, ignition systems and RCS implementations.
• Design, development and validation of propulsion fluid control and safety systems, cryogenic as well as non-cryogenic.
• Development and validation testing of launch vehicle propulsion GSE.
• Test facilities/equipment design, development, validation, operation and maintenance.
• Test plans and procedures development.
• Test procedure execution, data analysis and reporting.
• Integrated systems testing support at DK/UK test facilities.
• Propulsion systems physical modelization, hereunder CAD and CFD modelization in close collaboration with senior engineers.
• Supplier liaison and Quality Assurance work on produced propulsion system components/parts including additively manufactured parts.
• Assembly and operational procedures development supporting of propulsion systems AIT in collaboration with propulsion systems technicians.
• Design and test documentation preparation and participation in design reviews.
It is essential that successful applicants have experience in experimental or practical rocketry, either professionally or through a rocketry team, Ideally for liquid or hybrid propulsion systems. Experience with Cryogenics would be a significant benefit.
Expected toolchain proficiencies will include:
• Highly experienced with SolidWorks or similar CAD tool.
• Numerical analysis tool (eg. Matlab/Simulink) proficiency.
• Experienced with typical rocket engine performance modeling tools (eg. CEA, RPA, Redtop etc.)
• Cycle simulation tool proficiency desired (eg. Ecosimpro, Simscape)
• MS Office tools, full proficiency expected
• Strong communication skills in both written and spoken English