Thermal Systems Engineer
Direct Entry Job Permanent Remote, Oxfordshire, UK
Uploaded 15 Jun 2022
By making space data more accessible and affordable, we want to be the platform that allows applicable solutions to be the prevention, not the cure. When tragedy strikes, Earth Observation satellites can be used to detect where resources would be most effective and map out the scale of damage to help decision makers rebuild
Description of the Position
You will be joining Open Cosmos’ systems team in Harwell-Oxford (UK) and will be responsible to lead and manage the thermal analysis and engineering aspects of Open Cosmos space missions. The candidate is expected to be involved in the whole cycle of a mission from concept, to tests, V&V, to orbital operations support and telemetry analysis.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Coordinate different technical teams to deliver a consistent technical solution.
- Provide input into requirements and verification plans.
- Define and perform thermal analysis and required tests at system and subsystem level.
- Propose improvements to increase the performance of Open Cosmos satellite missions.
- Define key orbital operational parameters and analyse their data.
- Support bid work, sales team, mission and operations teams, customer support or any other teams within the company with technical information and documentation related to thermal engineering.
- Maintain systems level documentation.
- Take initiative and work in a self-driven manner in a fast-changing environment.
- Embrace challenge and work outside of the comfort zone.
- Commit to fulfil customer requirements and expectations.
Proven experience in satellite thermal engineering. To have seen full cycle of a space mission, from conception to end of life.
- Have seen full life cycle missions.
- Have experience with Maya, ESATAN or similar.
- Have experience in leading and executing thermal balance tests.
- Have good knowledge of the subsystems involved in a satellite: power system, on board computer, AOCS, comms, propulsion, mechanical.
- Have good knowledge of AIT processes.
- Quick to learn and teach.
- Attention to detail.
- Honesty, openness and self awareness
Nice to have
- Experience in Earth Observation missions/systems
- Experience in systems engineering and project management
- Experience managing communication with suppliers external stakeholders
- Technical experience in the development of specific subsystems
- Hands on experience on AIT
- Experience in QA/PA
- Systems experience in ESA missions
- Familiarity with ECSS standards and handbooks
You will enjoy
- Working with a team of passionate people to help solve the world's biggest challenges
- Working at one of the world’s leading space campuses
- 25 days holidays + 8 bank holidays
- Attractive Pension Scheme & Immediate enrolment
- Remote working and Home working as per company policy
- Annual Salary Review
Other Jobs at Open Cosmos
- AIT (Assembly, Integration & Test) Engineer, Harwell Campus, Oxfordshire
- AIT (Assembly, Integration & Test) Technician, Harwell Campus, Oxfordshire
- EMEA Business Development Director, Remote, Oxfordshire
- Quality and Product Assurance Engineer, Hybrid, Oxfordshire
- Project Manager (space mission), Remote, Oxfordshire