Space Technology Business Analyst
Internship 1 year Harwell, Oxfordshire, UK
Uploaded 11 Apr 2018
Here at the Satellite Applications Catapult, we have this fantastic, future career moulding opportunity for an intern with a flair for space and business! The Small Satellites team is looking to take on a Student Placement for one year to offer an opportunity to work with rocket scientists in one of the fastest growing space sectors.
Small satellites offer a complementary alternative to larger satellites by providing cheaper, more frequent and up to date data, opening new markets for satellite applications. We want you to assist with business analysis to monitor and maintain database of current and planned space assets and capabilities. We promise not to stop there! We will do our best to flex around your academic and professional ambitions within the space sector and offer a truly unique experience to enhance your future prospects and get a taste for what it would be like to be part of an innovative and pioneering organisation.
The Catapult maintains an internal market intelligence portfolio to assist in understanding the small satellite market for strategic and corporate support purposes. This data is collated from multiple sources that are fragmented and not easily exploitable. Furthermore, the diverse and responsive nature of the space sector, in particular the “New Space” movement, results in changes in the related economics and technologies on a basis more regular than annual reports can address.
On joining this 12-month placement, you will be contributing to this on-going work activity, where you will be required to quickly integrate with the Small Satellite Missions and Business Modelling teams and begin to contribute straight away.
Typical day-to-day activities are likely to include:
- Technology capability exploration through direct and indirect research methods.
- Collation and regular reporting of results and updates to internal stakeholders
- Support where necessary for bespoke analysis tasks for bids, projects or external customers
- Design and implement a weekly news on the “New Space” announcements, gathering information from global space sector news resources
This role will give you experience in the cutting edge of the UK commercial space sector, engaging with and in proximity to a cross-cutting range of organizations of differing sizes and maturity, covering multiple industry sectors and representing many elements of the satellite missions and services value chain.
- 2nd year student looking for industrial placement in the space sector
- You should have an expected degree of at least 2:1 or higher
- A demonstrable interest in the space sector, in particular the commercial industry. Examples or experience in engaging with satellite, subsystem an or component manufacturers, service operators or end users would be of benefit
- An interest in learning more about the UK commercial space sector and integrating it with your future career plans
- Comprehension of basic engineering principles and approaches in delivering complex systems and solutions
- Competency in creation and management of Microsoft Office software tools, in particular Excel and its advanced functions
- Taking a degree in a science, technology, engineering or maths subject with a clear aim of taking it into a business-focused career; or combined business/management and engineering; or pure business or economics with examples of application of these skills to activities related to the space sector
- You should expect to be pro-active and self-guided, to meet and exceed stakeholder expectations and explore and propose future opportunities to exploit the results of your work
- More advanced database design and management would be of interest
- Work experience in a similar engineering or business-focused role
- Public speaking, presentation or publication of formal or informal work and activities
This is an exceptional opportunity for someone interested in working in the space sector in a less traditional role that is not wholly focused on technical and engineering disciplines.
Other Jobs at Satellite Applications Catapult
No jobs currently available.