Space Placements in INdustry (SPIN) 2018
Internship 8 weeks UK Wide, UK
Uploaded 16 Apr 2018
The Space Placements in INdustry scheme (SPIN) has been designed to provide an introductory link for those considering employment in the space sector and space sector organisations looking to find the most talented and enthusiastic people to ensure the future success of their businesses. The scheme is managed by the UK Space Agency and supported by the Satellite Applications Catapult.
The value of practical experience in the workplace has long been recognised to offer benefits to the spintern, providing valuable experience of the work environment and the skills that are crucial to a successful career, and benefits to the sponsor or host organisation who can identify a project that might otherwise not be achievable, carried out with a fresh pair of eyes and perhaps a fresh perspective on their own organisation and possibly provide an informal extended interview of a potential employee.
The scheme has been running since 2013 and continues to grow in popularity. We always encourage enquiries from potential host organisations who have a short-term project (typically of eight weeks duration), and who would like to offer individuals the opportunity to gain new skills and an insight into their business.
We welcome applications from individuals from all disciplines who are enthusiastic to work in the space sector and are keen to develop new skills, applying and building on the knowledge they’ve acquired in their studies to date.
MeVitae - Harwell, Oxfordshire: Augmented Intelligence
Satellite Applications Catapult - Harwell, Oxfordshire: Nanosatellite imager implementation
Satellite Applications Catapult - Harwell, Oxfordshire: Orbital Witness SPINintern
Satellite Applications Catapult - Harwell, Oxfordshire: Unplanned urban growth and its contribution to the impacts of a disaster
Satellite Applications Catapult - Harwell, Oxfordshire: Evaluating state-of-the-art open source deep learning techniques and their applicability to satellite Earth Observation datasets
Satellite Applications Catapult - Harwell, Oxfordshire: Modelling the inundation extent of tailings dam failures using Earth Observation
Satellite Applications Catapult - Harwell, Oxfordshire: Evaluating the Satellite Earth Observation in a compute-abundant world: an evaluation of Geospatial Data Analysis Platforms
Satellite Applications Catapult - Harwell, Oxfordshire: Assessment of satellite-terrestrial integration novel product development in the 5G environment for the drones market
- A paid work placement that will give you a very tangible experience to add to your CV
- Unique induction event which will give you a perspective of the active and vibrant space sector in the UK
- Showcase event which will enable you to promote yourself and the skills you’ve learnt to a wider community of potential employers
- Learn first hand the skills that employers really want
- All Spinterns hosted by companies new to the scheme will be visited by a manager of the SPIN scheme during their placements, and all students are encouraged to engage with the scheme manager throughout and after their placement.
The scheme is open to individuals who are enthusiastic about working in the space industry. Whilst Aerospace Engineering or Physics are key topics to the ‘upstream’ sector, Electronic, Mechanical and Systems Engineering are also important; numerate and computer-savvy natural scientists and geographers are sought after in the ‘downstream’ or ‘satellite-enabled’ sectors. All applicants for summer placements must be registered students studying on a recognised study programme at the time of their application. Some projects starting at different times of the year will be open to graduates. You should also be aware that most organisations will not be in a position to support visa applications for short-term workers. If you are in any doubt as to whether you will require a visa, please refer to the UK Visas and Immigration website. We are unable to facilitate this.
The deadline for this position has passed
Other Jobs at Space Placements in INdustry scheme (SPIN)
- SPIN - GaAs Optical Modulators with large Temperature Range for Satellite Communications, Sedgefield
- Space Placements in INdustry scheme (SPIN) - Various Projects, Didcot
- Space Placements in INdustry scheme (SPIN) - Various Projects, UK Wide
- Space Placements in INdustry scheme (SPIN) - The Open University Projects, Milton Keynes