What we are building
Open Cosmos is revolutionising the way space technology is used.
Driven by the vision of making space accessible to anyone and advancing science and technology, we provide simple and affordable access to space using nanosatellite technology.
We went from design to delivery of qb01, our first nanosatellite, in only four months, followed by a launch and deployment in LEO early April 2017. The company is currently developing the next generation of satellites and end-to-end services for private and institutional customers to be launched in 2018. We are a young and ambitious team with experience in the aerospace, electronics and software industries. To support our growth and make our vision a reality we are looking for the brightest minds and the best talents in every domains from engineering to operations.
Open Cosmos is based in the Harwell-Oxford Campus, Oxfordshire, UK.
Description of the position
At Open Cosmos we are looking for a 6-months intern or final degree project student to work as part of the mechanical engineering team in several on-going projects. The internship position may lead to an employment contract at the end of the period.
Starting as early as February 2018 is possible.
Applications are processed on a rolling basis.
Space industry experience is not required.
- Demonstrable experience in the area of product engineering. Preferably the candidate would have developed a commercial mechanical/electro-mechanical product that has been sold in recent years.
- Demonstrable experience in testing of product for functionality.
- Experience in sizing mechanisms using first principles.
- Experience using structural hand-calculations to validate a design.
- Experience with any precision CAD software (Solidworks, Pro Engineer, etc)
- Experience in tolerance analysis (worst case or statistical)
- Experience in GD&T using ISO 1101, 2692 & 5458 or ASME Y14.5 to achieve high-reliability and performance.
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes to aid design and ease of manufacture.
- Experience in designing with machine & fastening elements.
- Experience with Python programming
- Experience with microcontrollers
- Experience developing test-rigs
- Experience with developing test plans
- Experience managing communications with suppliers.
- Experience with Assembly, Integration and Testing of aerospace or automotive product.
- Experience in Failure modes, effects & reliability analysis.
- Previous 6 month placement covering required skills & experience.
- Delivery orientated (Delivery defined as a “complete product that adds value to Open Cosmos”)
- Highly motivated to deliver against challenging objectives and deadlines
- Ability to contribute in a multidisciplinary team of engineers
- Demonstrate a personal commitment to professional standards and obligation towards the team.
- Professional awareness of company deadlines.
- Professional awareness of intellectual property.
- Aware of cultural diversity
- Demonstrate effective interpersonal skills towards colleagues, customers & suppliers.
- Organised approach to complex problems
- Attention to detail
- Quick learner
- Understanding of company operations.
- Ability to devise and operate effective schedules.
- Aware of Pareto’s law of time management.
- Self starter and self reliant.