Flight Software Operations Engineer
Direct Entry Job Permanent Harwell, Oxfordshire, UK
Uploaded 23 Apr 2018
Open Cosmos is revolutionising the way space technology is used.
Driven by the vision of making space accessible to anyone, we provide simple and affordable space missions using nanosatellite technology. We went from design to delivery of our first nanosatellite qb01 in only four months, followed by its launch and deployment in LEO early April 2017.
The company is currently developing the next generation of satellites and end-to-end services for private and institutional customers to be launched in 2018. Based in the Harwell-Oxford Campus in the UK, we are a young and ambitious team with experience in the aerospace, electronics and software industries. To support our growth and make our vision a reality we are looking for the brightest minds and the best talents in every domain.
The following job opportunity is available:
Description of the position
The successful candidate will be in charge of leading the definition of the spacecraft on-board software in its applications layer. This will include not only nominal spacecraft operations across the mission but also Fault Detection, Isolation and Recovery strategies that will automatise in-orbit spacecraft anomaly troubleshooting and resolution.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Support in qbee flight software:
- Definition of Fault Detection, Isolation and Recovery (FDIR) algorithms
- Generation of System TM and TC budgets
- Support to the on-board software engineers defining system software specifications and reviewing software architecture and design
- Support in qbee systems engineering:
- Support in the definition and analysis of operational scenarios
- Support in the identification and analysis of spacecraft operational constraints
- Generation of qbee data budget tools
- Support in qbee AIT/AIV campaign
- Definition of the Operations and FDIR validation plan
- Assessment of the Operations and FDIR validation plan test results
- Operations support during end-to-end test campaign including test definition, execution and analysis
- Preparation and maintenance of Spacecraft User Manuals for operators
- Real time in-flight operations:
- Support to real-time operations team as Spacecraft Analyst and/or Spacecraft Controller
Skills, attitude, competencies and experience
- BSc or higher technical university degree
- Experience in spacecraft operations
- Experience in software model design and validation
- Experience in Space systems engineering working with satellites
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Ability to cope with pressure while delivering at the highest performance and quality
- Quick learner
- Self-driven attitude with problem-solving mentality
- Ready to work for some periods of time under a 24/7 shift rota
- Ready to be in a 24/7 on-call service to assist contingency operations
Nice to have
- Experience in real-time spacecraft operations
- Experience in on-board software development
- Experience in defining of FDIR strategies
Open Cosmos in the media
How to apply
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Send your application to email@example.com
- Links to your LinkedIn
- Max. half a page covering letter
Other Jobs at Open Cosmos
No jobs currently available.