Oxford Space Systems is a multi award-winning space technology business developing novel deployable spacecraft structures that are lighter, less complex and lower cost than those in current commercial demand. Our vision is to become the leading supplier of highly competitive deployable structures for the global satellite industry. By working with leading academic & commercial collaborators, we're developing genuinely innovative scalable boom, panel and antenna solutions for the world’s leading satellite builders. Based at the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus - the UK's Space Cluster - Oxford Space Systems enjoys access to the world-class facilities & expertise of RAL Space, together with support from the UK Space Agency, ESA, Innovate UK and the Satellite Applications Catapult.
- Design of space flight mechanisms and deployable structures/devices from concept stage through to detailed design to enable analysis and manufacture
- Negotiate technical issues/requirements/design solutions with customers
- Trade off technical solution with other disciplines
- Creation of piece part drawings from 3D models to enable manufacture of components
- Write documentation for Design definition, Manufacturing, Assembly and Integration and detailed procedures through interaction with MAIT teams
- Manage configuration of all designs (control of BOM)
- Support technical reviews with customers
- Provide technical support to procurement, manufacture and assembly activities
- Support business development team in preparing technical proposals for customers
If you are interested in working with Oxford Space Systems at this exciting point in the OSS story, then please email your CV and a covering letter to email@example.com with the job title you’re applying for in the Subject line of the email. Please note that only suitable candidates will be contacted.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Strong Bachelor’s or Master’s degree-level in mechanical engineering related subject or HNC minimum with strong relevant experience
- Innovative thinking – the ability to be given technical requirements and to create robust design solutions using own initiative and the ability to critique own ideas
- Very good understanding of mechanical and thermal properties of engineering materials and their practical implementation, correct use of tolerances, Engineering drawing standards and manufacturing techniques
- High level of experience using CAD software packages for mechanical design (preferably SolidWorks) is essential.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office software
- Hands-on practical experience (preferably apprentice trained) in mechanical engineering field would be a distinct advantage
- Demonstrate a common sense/pragmatic and logical approach to problem solving –ability to find simple solutions to complex problems
- At least 2 years experience of working in the space industry is preferred.
- Familiarity with ECSS would be an advantage
- The ability to quickly understand new technical concepts is essential
- Due to the sensitive nature of projects applicants must be eligible to gain SC clearance (normally have been a UK resident for a minimum of 5 years), exceptions will be reviewed on individual merit
- Good interpersonal skills
- Excellent technical English written/verbal communication and presentation skills
- Self-motivated to meet objectives
- Ability to work both alone and in teams as required by the individual task
- Ability to work within defined timescales to meet programme milestones
- Ability to work on several projects at any one time
- Driven by technical challenges, problem solving and practical implementation of new ideas
- Willingness to learn and share knowledge with other members of the team
- Ability to gain SC clearance. (Be resident in the UK for at least 5 years)
Other Jobs at Oxford Space Systems
No jobs currently available.