Satellite Assembly, integration and test (AIT) engineer
Graduate Position Permanent Harwell, UK
Uploaded 10 Jun 2018
Open Cosmos is revolutionising the way space technology is used.
Driven by the vision of making space accessible to anyone, we provide simple and affordable space missions using nanosatellite technology. We went from design to delivery of our first nanosatellite qb01 in only four months, followed by its launch and deployment in LEO early April 2017.
The company is currently developing the next generation of satellites and end-to-end services for private and institutional customers to be launched in 2018. Based in the Harwell-Oxford Campus in the UK, we are a young and ambitious team with experience in the aerospace, electronics and software industries. To support our growth and make our vision a reality we are looking for the brightest minds and the best talents in every domain.
The successful candidate will be joining Open Cosmos’ core team in Harwell-Oxford (UK) and will be responsible to define and drive AIT operations and AIT operational excellence to fulfill the project needs during the production stage.
These responsibilities span the design, implementation and smooth running of hardware and software systems used to test and validate new and developing satellite systems as well as the mechanical assembly and integration of the systems. Applicants with strong interests in electronics who see it as a hobby will be especially welcomed.
Depending on experience, skills and attitude, a lead position is available as well.
- Plan, develop and implement assembly, integration and test of electronics subsystems and satellites.
- Develop of hardware and software tools to increase quality and efficiency within AIT operations.
- Conception and definition of test procedures, test plans and test strategies in alignment with design, system engineering and project management.
- Creation and execution of tests on demand from analysis, requirements and existing procedures.
- Architect, design and implementation of hardware and software solutions for automated test, validation and qualification.
- Generation of testing documentation.
- Provide production support for test solution.
- Provide design feedback according to testing results.
- Definition and input to quality and operational excellence processes.
- Mentorship/training and motivation of colleagues.
- Support sales, customer support or any other business areas that require technical support as needed.
- Input to technical roadmap.
- Input to the AIT roadmap for continuous improvement of AIT operations, including facilities management and planning.
- Assisting company-wide projects and activities as part of the Open Cosmos team.
Skills, attitude and experience
- Experience in plan, development and implementation of assembly, integration and test operations of high-reliability systems (aerospace, automotive, nuclear…).
- Experience in design of electronics test boards.
- Experience in process definition, monitoring and measurement of test and assembly operations.
- Experience in automation of assembly and test processes.
- Proven experience in scripting and test automation, knowledge of Python, C or other test automation tools, techniques and languages.
- Experience with embedded systems.
- Experience with analogue circuits and practical knowledge in analogue and mixed-signal measurement techniques.
- Experience with digital, power and RF electronics at the system level.
- Strong hands-on skills
- Quick to learn and teach
- Attention to detail
- Honesty, openness and self-awareness
- lean / bootstrap mentality
Nice to have
- Experience in the space sector
- Experience in RF characterisation and measurement techniques.
- Experience with qualifications including CE and FCC.
- Knowledge of statistical data analysis.
- Linux shell scripting.
- Experience using Altium Designer.
- Space systems engineer experience.