Space Thermal Mechanical Design EngineerGraduate Position Permanent Harwell, Oxfordshire, UK
Archangel Lightworks is a start-up specialised in space laser communications based in Harwell Space Campus, Oxfordshire. Founded in mid-2017, we have secured long-term funding and successfully demonstrated several novel prototypes related to laser transmission and efficient perpendicular solar concentration. Our mission is to make 10x more data download possible to meet the demand from the growing satellites market, especially smallsats, delivering more data from the earth orbit to the ground at higher speed. This project will be developed directly with the European Space Agency.
Role & Responsibilities
We are passionate about innovation and driven to find new concepts for communications architectures. We are seeking an ambitious and experienced talent with a strong background in thermal mechanical design engineering to join our rapidly growing team. The successful candidate will be responsible for the trade-off analysis of payload mechanical and electromechanical design for communication payloads and working closely with systems engineering.
Specific job responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Preliminary and detailed design of payload enclosures, telescope mechanical assemblies, high precision actuation mechanisms for space and airborne environments.
- Design and manufacturing of test equipment, working closely with AIT personnel.
- Clear and concise technical presentation of work to the team and mentoring/teaching of junior staff.
- Planning, completing and documenting validation and qualification testing of new designs.
- Participating in Design Reviews throughout each phase of payload development.
- Generate 3D CAD models and 2D manufacturing drawings.
- Managing and meeting cost and weight targets.
Interested applicants may also consider starting first as a fixed-term consultant while rolling into a permanent role, which we would willingly support depending on your ability to deliver, innovate and lead. We are a small company who like to do big impactful things and we are seeking someone who shares that mindset.
- Extensive experience using professional CAD software (Solidwoks, AutoCAD, other). Solidworks preferred.
- Experience developing a thermal optomechanical systems.
- Experience developing mechanical, optomechanical systems for space environments.
- Experience with active and passive TCS hardware.
- Educated to degree level (or equivalent) in Aerospace Engineering or related discipline.
Desirable additional skills/experience:
- Experience performing include Aerodynamics, Fluid Mechanics and Thermodynamics analysis of designs.
- Experience with Matlab and software. Other programming languages are desirable.
- Knowledge of icing problems in an aerospace context.
- Proven track record of problem solving for thermal systems in an aerospace context.
- Experience using simulation tools one of (ANSYS, CFD, Inventor) to simulate complex thermal and mechanical problems. ANSYS preferred.
- Experience working on Cubesat projects, UAV, HAPS projects.
You will be remunerated competitively depending on your experience and skills.
We work around delivery-focused, agile sprints such that you will be making impact early and regularly, with a sustainable work-life balance. There are options for flexible working hours, (some) working from home, travel and training bursaries, as needed. We also work in the buzzing Harwell Space Campus with regular events on site (networking, workshops), and delicious lunch time international cuisines.