Space Electronics Design EngineerGraduate Position Permanent Harwell, Oxfordshire, UK
Archangel Lightworks is a start-up specialised in space laser communications based in Harwell Space Campus, Oxfordshire. Founded in mid-2017, we have secured long-term funding and successfully demonstrated several novel prototypes related to laser transmission and efficient perpendicular solar concentration. Our mission is to make 10x more data download possible to meet the demand from the growing satellites market, especially smallsats, delivering more data from the earth orbit to the ground at higher speed.
Role & Responsibilities
We are passionate about innovation and driven to find new concepts for communications architectures. We are seeking an ambitious and experienced talent with a strong background in electronics design engineering and technical leadership to join our rapidly growing team. The successful candidate will be responsible for conducting trade off analyses to inform payload design and optimisation for communication payload electronics in space and high-altitude environments.
Specific job responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Responsible for the design, development of a high data rate free optical communication detector and data management system for an airborne payload.
- Design, assembly of electrical and data subsystems for a nanosatellite laser communication terminal.
- Verify designs through simulation and laboratory to ensure they meet requirements, working with AIT lead.
- Design and manufacturing of test equipment, working closely with AIT lead. Analysis of test data and testing equipment, subsystems as required.
- Planning, completing and documenting validation and qualification testing of new designs.
- Managing external subcontractors where appropriate
Interested applicants may also consider starting first as a fixed-term consultant while rolling into a permanent role although this is less preferred.
- Experience developing high speed electronics for communication applications, ideally in a space environment.
- Practical experience with digital signal processing methods, hardware, design.
- Experience designing, testing PCBs. Electronic circuits design, review and component procurement, ideally for a space environment.
- Extensive soldering experience including surface mount.
- PLA/FPGA design, programming and integration experience for aerospace application.
- Experience developing electrical subsystems for space environment
- Proficient English, positive attitude, self-driven and interested in working in a start-up environment
- Independent, quick learner, can structure and show initiatives to thoroughly evaluate and solve problems from different angles, proactively push progress forward
Desirable additional skills/experience:
- Soldering to Space industry standards (Certification would be a plus).
- Experience designing, implementing free space optical communication systems and relevant electronics, particularly intensity modulation methods (OOK, PPM, PAM), detection, noise reduction, signal processing, interleaving, forwards error correction.
- Systems engineering experience, exposure.
You will be remunerated competitively depending on your experience and skills. We work around delivery-focused, agile sprints such that you will be making impact early and regularly, with a sustainable work-life balance. There are options for flexible working hours, (some) working from home, travel and training bursaries, as needed. We also work in the buzzing Harwell Space Campus with regular events on site (networking, workshops), and delicious lunch time international cuisines.