PhD Placements in Advanced Electronics for Telecommunications
Internship 3 months Harwell, UK
Uploaded 1 Aug 2018
The Satellite Applications Catapult is an independent technology and innovation company whose purpose is to promote, develop and facilitate the commercialisation and advancement of the satellite applications industry. The company is a not for profit Research Organisation, with a commercial trading subsidiary. The organisation embraces an open and innovative culture, encouraging an ethos of knowledge exchange and sector engagement, and has quickly become a world class centre of facilities and expertise.
We’re one of ten “Catapults” launched by Innovate UK (formerly the Technology Strategy Board). The aim for each of them is to become a world-leading innovation centre in its own specialist area
“To innovate for a better world, empowered by satellites”
‘’To be a world-leading technology and innovation company, helping businesses of all sizes to realise the potential from space. By embracing a pioneering, agile, collaborative and entrepreneurial spirit, we create valued partnerships to deliver game-changing results.”
The Catapult fosters an open and collaborative culture that stimulates and develops staff and encourages collaboration and innovation. Our employee value proposition is strong. We have worked hard to create an environment which is dynamic, exciting, challenging, rewarding, flexible and, most importantly, fun.
The PhD candidates will support the system engineering team on advanced technologies for the next generation hybrid communications terminal. Based on the specific area of involvement, the candidates will be able to influence the system architecture and build hands-on experience. The candidates will help identify suitable technologies starting with TRL2 and developing up to TRL4. The candidates will contribute to specific work packages and provide a final report on and simulation code.
Required Skills and Experience
Example of Applicable Technology Innovation Areas
- Software defined modem with special mobility algorithms, electronically steerable antenna system, blockage prevention mechanisms for loss of line of sight and terrestrial augmentation
- Definition of 5GPP standards to include the hybrid terminal inter-operability specifications
- Multi radio access integrated antenna sub-system with coexisting cellular, satellite, positioning and WiFi
- MAC & Upper layer software definitions for seamless handover and convergence between satellite & cellular reception
- Software interfaces for automotive operating systems to support satellite connectivity and associated applications
- SDN/NFV Architectures and EPC for Satellite Components
- RF MEMS and RF ICs for Low-Power and High-Frequency SatCom Terminals (Ku, Ka, Q/V Bands)
- Inertial Sensors for High Frequency Accurate Antenna Pointing
- Hybrid Comm Protocol for IP Mobility
- Phased Array Antenna Technology
- VoIP technology and protocol for future hybrid network (VoLTE, VoWIFI, VoIP OTT, etc..)
- Master’s Degree in Telecommunications & Electronics Engineering, Physics or similar field.
Other Jobs at Satellite Applications Catapult
No jobs currently available.