User Experience (UX) Designer
Graduate Position Permanent Harwell, UK
Uploaded 1 Aug 2018
Our super User Centred Design team here at the Catapult is on the look out for a FANTASTIC UX Designer! We will offer you an opportunity to realise your potential, to wow people with your expertise and align the technology with customer needs and wants.
This is a permanent role directly within Satellite Applications Catapult. We are based in Harwell with great public transport connections from all of Oxfordshire as well as London. We offer competitive salaries with annual reviews, end of a financial year bonus, 28 days of annual leave plus all your bank holidays paid for as an extra. Our pension scheme is competitive with a maximum of 10% contribution from us if you put in 5% and to top it all off, we have a private medical insurance as a benefit in kind. We work in a collaborative engaging way and believe in empowering our people, after all, you are our greatest asset!
Interested? Send us your fantastic portfolio to email@example.com.
The User Centred Design Team at the Catapult bridge the gap between technical specialists, business experts, and end-users, blazing the trail in the space industry with a needs-driven rather than technology-pushed approach to application and service development.
We are changing the world through applying space technologies in areas as diverse as commercial fishing, disaster relief and sustainable development, supporting small and large companies alike. Projects may be internal or external, but your work will very likely be used and seen by a global audience.
We want our team to develop, so tell us what you want to learn and we’ll support you where we can. We value enthusiasm, a willingness to grow, and someone who values joy in their process. Humour is an essential part of our day to day life.
As a User Experience (UX) Designer your skills will be applied across the range of project areas we work in, supporting research and field work, and helping translate captured user requirements into robust design specifications. You will create user stories, wireframes, mock-ups, and prototypes, testing these with users throughout development. You will act as a quality control review of UX work across the Catapult, ensuring that the cutting-edge space technology services we create are being designed and delivered in the right way.
You will link with developers, satellite technology experts, and end users, to create world changing applications that take the biggest data sets there are and make them accessible, usable, and useful.You will champion design across not only the Space Industry, but all the industries we support, engaging with start-ups and industry giants, academic institutions and governments (both at home and abroad).
You will bring new ideas, methods, and strategies to not just the team, but the organisation as a whole, and will inspire those you work with, as well as be inspired by them.
- You are someone who wants to change the world and believes that user centred design is an essential tool in achieving this.
- You prototype as proof of concept, work visually as much as possible and itch to teach people why these are great ways of working.
- You can act as a translator, encouraging and facilitating work between disparate groups with differing skills, values and approaches.
- You can tell stories and use these narratives to win people over to your cause.
- You are naturally curious and not afraid to ask questions.
- You want to influence how the team works, rather than simply following orders. You would have no qualms telling the Emperor he needs to put some clothes on.
Required Skills and Experience
- You have experience leading the UX portion of design projects.
- You have worked with digital service developers and supported prototyping and testing through to delivery.
- You have a relevant degree in one of the following design-related areas:
- You can comfortably express yourself and your ideas using Adobe Creative Cloud (PS, Ai, Ae, Id, etc. – whichever you need).
- You have experience in standard UX software such as Sketch, XD, OmniGraffle, Axure, InVision, UXPin, Balsamiq, Framer.
- You can communicate through sketching, and whiteboard markers are a natural extension of your hand.
- You can explain why understanding need is essential to creating a sustainable solution, where sustainable doesn’t just mean green.
- You know what HCD and design thinking means and have experience using them.
- You have a good grounding in design theory, are keen to learn more, as well as create new methodologies.
- You are self-driven, organised and able to motivate others.
Great to have
- You dabble in coding (or are interested to learn) and are able to have a meaningful conversation with developers (or show your own prototypes).
- You are entrepreneurial and either understand or are keen to learn more about how to create a sustainable business case.
- You consider yourself a master Lego builder.
- You can hold your own in a debate as to whether cats or dogs are the superior companion.
Other Jobs at Satellite Applications Catapult
No jobs currently available.