Graduate Position Permanent Warrington, UK
Uploaded 24 Aug 2018
ESR Technology is a leading Science and Engineering services company providing independent and specialist technical consultancy, products and services to the Oil & Gas, Space, Industrial and Transport markets. We are seeking a highly motivated and technically able engineer to join the staff of the European Space Tribology Laboratory (ESTL), our successful spacecraft mechanism and tribology research team operated on behalf of the European Space Agency (ESA). We need confident, capable staff who take responsibility for their work, have excellent communication skills and want to work on technically challenging projects for international clients.
This is a graduate/early career position within ESTL which provides specialist scientific and engineering support to clients in both space and terrestrial markets. Activities include support to commercial R&D including liaison with colleagues/clients to identify project scope, all aspects of project delivery (test facility and test specification, commissioning, test execution, analysis, and reporting of results) supporting major international space and science programmes as well as the growing commercial space and terrestrial vacuum markets. Clients include ESA, spacecraft and vacuum mechanism/equipment developers and research organisations. Projects vary in size from weeks or months duration up to longer term multi-year projects.
The successful candidate will be expected to demonstrate or ultimately to acquire specialist knowledge in the field of tribology, especially relating to vacuum and space environments. However, equally important will be a sound and broadbased engineering background to enable the effective use of existing technical knowledge to work hands-on, with support as needed, to deliver all aspects of the R&D activities with which they will be tasked.
The abilities both to plan work and take responsibility for its completion within a commercial R&D environment are essential. This requires the employee to understand internal or external customer requirements, use their specific technical expertise to contribute to the outcomes from a multi-disciplinary team and ultimately to become responsible not only for project execution, but also for the management of work packages or projects, resources and suppliers to achieve objectives within technical, cost and schedule constraints.
- A first class or 2.1 degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering, or a related discipline
- Technically strong with an enquiring mind, a creative problem-solver willing to learn and to contribute effectively.
- Willing to perform hands-on tasks in a laboratory/cleanroom environment.
- An excellent communicator (both written and verbal).
- Sociable and a team player.
- Some tribological knowledge, background or experience.
- Experience of assembly/commissioning test facilities (e.g. mechanical assembly, drives and controllers, instrumentation/data acquisition and/or control software, calibration and validation of data).
- A desire to work towards membership of a professional institution.