Senior/Principal Mechanical Engineer
Direct Entry Job Permanent Warrington, UK
Uploaded 24 Aug 2018
We have a vacancy for a senior/principal mechanical engineer capable of providing specialist consultancy/mechanical design analysis, research and development support to clients in both space and terrestrial markets.
The role involves leadership of all aspects of multiple mechanism and tribology projects from identification of opportunities and where necessary funding sources, through preparation of winning proposals to execution of the work in-line with cost, schedule and quality requirements.
Working mainly with bespoke, precision mechanical systems, the main purpose of the role is to provide specialist engineering consultancy and research/development support to external clients involved in space and vacuum mechanism development. In addition, the job-holder will be expected to provide conceptual/architectural design and development leadership for in-house devices, new products and test facility developments.
- A first class or 2.1 degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering, or a related discipline.
- Chartered Engineer (or working towards it)
- A track record in the design/development of mechanisms for space/vacuum or aerospace applications
- Experience in identification, development and winning of new business including proposal preparation.
- A dedicated and creative approach to problem-solving and excellent analytical skills
- First class communications (both written and verbal). • Ability to provide effective technical, project and team leadership
- A sound understanding of the design/development of tribological systems - for example mechanisms using ball bearings or spur gears.
- An established capability in the use of design and structural analysis software tools.
- Experience of moving mechanical/mechatronic systems and motion control
- An understanding of advanced materials and component production processes
- Experience working with ESA, spacecraft primes or spacecraft equipment manufacturers.