Instrumentation and Test Technician
Direct Entry Job Permanent Warrington, UK
Uploaded 24 Aug 2018
This is a suitable for a candidate with HND/HNC or higher equivalent background and a few years of experience in a relevant discipline.
Reporting to our Facilities Manager/Space PA Manager, the role will primarily require the provision of electrical/ electronics support to maintenance, calibration, setup and use of research and development instrumentation and test rigs, as well as electrical support for the maintenance of cleanroom infrastructure and specialist vacuum equipment.
The work is extremely varied, requiring setup, commissioning and fault diagnosis of test facilities, execution of in-house calibrations of equipment, as well as responsibility for arranging external calibrations. The role also requires the ability to read and create basic electronic designs and PCB layouts and to manufacture/maintain dedicated “special to type” laboratory equipment (for example simple motor drives/switch boxes/trip systems etc).
Previous experience of test/measurement within vacuum /UHV systems would be helpful (but not essential), however, a sound understanding of control and instrumentation principles (e.g. servo motors, stepper motors and encoders), and the use of piezo-electric force/torque transducers, charge amplifiers, thermistors/thermocouples/RTD’s, strain gauges etc would be highly beneficial. The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate good mechanical and electrical assembly methods and practices and be prepared to work within an ISO Class 7 cleanroom whilst maintaining appropriate cleanliness standards. In addition, from time-to-time, the successful candidate will be required to support the execution of thermal vacuum or other development tests, working within an ISO 9001 quality system.
You will be located at our modern offices in Warrington, with a mixture of desk-based and laboratory/cleanroom work. Some travel may occasionally be required to visit clients, suppliers and other project partners mainly within the UK.
- HNC/HND or higher equivalent in relevant electrical/electronics discipline. Electrically trained
- Technically strong with an enquiring mind, willing to learn, contribute effectively and take full ownership of tasks.
- Willing to perform hands-on tasks in a laboratory/cleanroom environment working to appropriate standards within an ISO 9001 Quality System.
- Able to read and create basic electronic designs and develop/test circuit layouts
- Experienced in the calibration and setup/commissioning of test hardware/facilities (e.g. drives and controllers, instrumentation/data acquisition and/or control software, calibration and validation of data).
- An effective communicator (both written and verbal).
- Sociable and a team player.
- Experience of high/UHV vacuum systems.
- A desire to work towards membership of an appropriate professional institution (e.g. IET).