BBC Focus Magazine is the UK’s best-selling science and technology monthly magazine. With contributions from leading academics and popular scientists alike, BBC Focus offers a distinctive and entertaining perspective on the fast-moving world of science. We introduce readers to cutting-edge technology, what’s hot in the world of gadgets and new ideas from the world of research.
From everyday science to amazing breakthroughs, new technology to space exploration, BBC Focus Magazine offers a whole new perspective on the world.
We're looking for an online reporter to help us tell the world how incredible science is. The successful candidate will love science and tech, and be passionate about creating compelling journalism,
This isn’t a junior role where you’ll be making the tea. We need a journalist who will pick up the phone, build a healthy contacts book and write stories every day. You’ll be able to take tricky concepts and explain them with clear, lively copy. Ultimately, we want someone who’s full of energy and ideas and is comfortable producing accurate stories about science at a fast pace.
Together with the online editor, you’ll be responsible for building the traffic on ScienceFocus.com and the engagement on our social channels. A keen news sense, an idea of what makes good web content, and the ability to create eye-catching online stories will be crucial.
- Generate original news and features ideas
- Create compelling, shareable social content
- Produce accurate copy in sync with the tone and voice of BBC Focus
- Ensure all images/content adhere to copyright guidelines
- Ensure all content adheres to BBC and legal guidelines
- Maintain a healthy network of contacts across the tech, publishing, TV and events world
- Maintain a content schedule for the near- and long-term
- Conduct interviews for the podcast
- Edit and upload content into the CMS
- Able to write succinct, clear and informative copy that conveys tricky concepts simply
- Brimming with ideas and enthusiasm
- Show initiative to grow the website and magazine beyond its current audience
- Have an eye for science stories, and a view on what angle BBC Focus should take
- Able to digest data and think visually to marry images, infographics and copy to tell an engaging story
- Confident communicator, able to work with others – external and internal – to produce brilliant content
- Tenacity to chase experts and interviewees to get the access and insight our readers want
- Understanding of the scientific process and proven interest in science and technology
- Confident using image-editing software
- Experience writing for websites and optimising copy for SEO and SMO and working within a CMS
- Awareness of the science communications world
- Willingness to travel to cover stories around the UK/World