Direct Entry Job Permanent Nottingham, UK
Uploaded 14 Sep 2018
We have a fantastic opportunity for several Electronics/RF Engineers with various seniority levels to join our company based in Nottingham. We are seeking several individuals who will assume responsibility for the design and development of circuit boards and sub-systems for the company’s range of electronic transceiver products. Design and development activities will encompass detailed component-level circuit design for a range of electronic circuits, including; RF signal synthesis, power supplies, analogue and digital interfaces and ancillary circuitry, as well as the specification, verification and validation of systems, sub-systems and components.
The job holder will be required to work closely with other engineering disciplines, suppliers and manufacturing partners to ensure that electrical performance, quality, cost and manufacturability requirements are met.
NSL is a dynamic SME with a high-calibre workforce who pride themselves on being at the forefront of technology development within the UK and EU space industry. Our specialisation is the development of robust, reliable and cost-effective Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS) applications and technology which enable organisations and individuals to maximise the benefits of high-accuracy navigation and positioning.
We operate in a dynamic and fast-paced environment, offering the opportunity to contribute to a wide range of projects. Our team is truly multi-national and we welcome diversity and new ideas. If you are hardworking, ambitious and enjoy a challenge then NSL is the right place for you.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Simulate, design, build and test RF systems up to 6GHz.
- Validate RF link performance, quality, and reliability.
- Board level RF and digital circuits design, component selection and laboratory-based design validation.
- Use diagnostic tools and equipment for testing and tuning RF circuitry.
- Prepare component level RF systems specifications for wireless systems.
- Participate in firmware development.
- Prepare manuals, application notes and support documentation.
- Working with the regulatory approval and/or field-based design validation of products
- Ensure that designs are managed to meet internal and external customer requirements.
- Present designs, results and conclusions to clients.
- Work as part of a close-knit, multi-disciplinary project team focused on delivering design solutions to our clients.
As a Senior RF / Electronics Engineer, you are also expected to:
- Derive system and RF requirements from high level requirements
- Architect RF systems
- Support legacy systems already in manufacture
- Peer review colleagues work
- Act as lead engineer when allocated to do so on selected new product designs
The job holder will be required to demonstrate some or all the following skills and knowledge, depending on seniority level:
- Electronic circuit/product design and development for commercial/industrial applications from system level down to sub-circuits (RF, power supply, digital & analogue).
- Schematic capture and PCB design/layout for complex multilayer PCBs.
- Library part creation and configuration management for PCBs.
- RF Transmission lines; microstrip, coplanar, stripline etc.
- Knowledge of system-level component blocks such as low noise amplifiers, RF filters, RF power splitters, bias-Tee, power suppliers, and ADC / DAC.
- Design for medium volume manufacture.
- Signal integrity, PCB stack-up, impedance control.
- High speed data buses.
- Communication buses (e.g. USB, SPI, I2C, Ethernet).
- Digital devices such as microprocessors, CPLDs, FPGAs and clock distribution
- Design verification/validation.
- Use of RF and digital test equipment such as spectrum analysers, signal generators, VNAs etc.
- The ability to work closely with suppliers and sub-contract manufacturers.
- Competent user of MS Office.
As an ideal candidate, you would have:
- A relevant technical university degree or suitable combination of academic qualifications, relevant skills and experience in lieu of a degree.
- Organised, innovative and self-motivated with the ability to work well under time-scale pressure.
- Motivated to solve problems that may not have an already established solution.
- Able to work with a limited brief in order to produce specifications/implement design.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills coupled with sound judgment.
- Strong skills in mathematics.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English is essential.
- Eligible for a UK Security Clearance will be desirable.
- Opportunities to undertake technical and personal development training courses.
- Opportunities to temporarily work at the NSL Netherlands office.
- 28 days holiday and a generous pension scheme.
- Friday cakes, regular social events and team nights out!