Geospatial Machine Learning Specialist
Direct Entry Job Permanent Bristol, UK
Uploaded 15 Oct 2018
Satellite platforms (such as the Sentinel missions) deliver Earth Observation data at an unprecedented rate, leading to new commercial opportunities to build geospatial services and create value-added information for clients, as well as maximising the application of space data resources for the benefit of humanity.
As part of its growth strategy, the SCISYS Space Division has secured contracts in the Earth Observation downstream market and is currently bidding for additional work in a variety of markets. Against a background of innovation and disruption within the space sector, we are looking for a Geospatial Machine Learning Specialist to join the team and be part of a growing business area for SCISYS.
SCISYS delivers a wide range of software services, solutions and consultancy to our institutional and commercial clients around the world. Developing robust, real-world software is our core business, as well as providing support services that create a real benefit to our customers. Our solutions are frequently at the heart of our clients' operations and therefore critical to their business. Delivering these solutions requires a partnership approach and mutual trust, which we pride ourselves on and promote amongst our workforce.
Fusing our previous work in data and image processing, machine learning and data analytics gives SCISYS the tools, processes and platform upon which to deliver the information clients desire from space-borne data. The focus of this role is not traditional Earth Observation products; our aim is to use flexible and scalable deployments of novel analytics to deliver services and information to governments and commercial customers without ‘pushing pixels’.
SCISYS is therefore looking to recruit a Geospatial Machine Learning Specialist to join our team, to design and build innovative and marketable services at our Bristol office in the UK.
About the Role
The Geospatial Machine Learning Specialist will use machine learning techniques to optimise the analysis of Earth Observation data, assist in the development of geo processing software and provide expert advice on technology options, including optimisation of Free and Open Source Software and the deployment of both on-site and cloud-hosted solutions. The role also includes development of data handling code to interface with 3rd party APIs.
The successful candidate will contribute to the entire Earth Observation service life cycle from concept generation to the realisation of delivery and thereby play a significant role in the business.
- Developing the group’s machine learning capability on Earth observation imagery and remote sensing data
- Working with SCISYS developers to support application development
- Shaping development effort into scalable imagery analytics
- Supporting agile prototyping of new concepts for innovative EO-enabled services
- Participating in consortium-based teams providing technical guidance on contracts where SCISYS is the prime or subcontractor
- Contributing to the technical roadmap for our EO solutions and services
- Supporting SCISYS colleagues with internal technical consultancy and system design, including bid authorship
- Maintaining awareness of new technologies and techniques, as part of continued professional development and as a representative of SCISYS
This is a superb opportunity for an individual to join a dynamic and supportive business. The successful candidate will demonstrate the following:
- Relevant post graduate qualifications in Computer Science, Applied Remote Sensing, or related fields incorporating Computer Vision, AI or Machine Learning
- Experience of using machine learning frameworks (such as TensorFlow, Keras or Caffe) to solve geospatial problems
- Solid experience in geospatial programming, with an ability to talk others through the problems solved and process improvements delivered
- Demonstrated success in image-based machine learning
- Relevant programming experience, including cloud deployment (e.g. Python, C/C++, etc)
- Experience of large-scale data processing or data analytics would be an advantage
- Self-starter with initiative and a strong motivation to succeed, supported by a professional and positive approach
- An ability to work in a team, explaining concepts using simple language and working to reduce complexity
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English
- Willingness to travel when required to customer sites
- Eligible to work in the UK and able to obtain security clearance
SCISYS offers a comprehensive range of benefits including pension, life assurance and private healthcare.