SCISYS delivers a wide range of software services, solutions and consultancy to our clients, such as the European Space Agency. We develop robust, real-world software and provide supporting services that create real benefit to our customers. SCISYS solutions are frequently at the core of our clients' operations and therefore critical to their business. For example, we are delivering software that will navigate a rover on Mars, allows spacecraft controllers to develop their operational procedures and investigating novel data transfer mechanisms between a spacecraft and Earth. Delivering these solutions requires partnership and mutual trust, which we pride ourselves on and promote amongst our workforce.
About the Role
The SCISYS Space Division is recruiting for an enthusiastic Java Software Developer to join the Satellite Ground Systems team in Bristol.
Working within our Space Division is both challenging and rewarding. We are looking for applicants who thrive in a dynamic environment and want to develop their career and help to shape the future of the Division.
You will be involved in exciting projects from observing the Earth’s weather systems to spacecraft missions, including monitoring and control, planning, automation, operations data preparation, archives and big data analysis. We are also developing an exciting new product to facilitate the trend of operating mega-constellations.
As a Software Developer at SCISYS you will be involved in all aspects of the software lifecycle and will be responsible for implementation of software components using Java and support for current systems software. You may also have the opportunity to visit the customer site to assist with testing and provide support or training.
- A software engineering background with solid development experience in Java.
- An understanding and appreciation of software development best practice, including the use of source code management systems and project standards/guidelines.
- Experience of working successfully in a collaborative team environment.
- Strong communication skills; it is expected that the role will include customer interaction, so the successful candidate will be fluent in English and confident in their role in representing the company.
- Degree or equivalent in computer science, engineering or a scientific discipline
- Programming within an eclipse environment using Java
- Linux systems
- Software design and UML
- Knowledge of programming in C/C++
- Requirements engineering
- Understanding of verification and validation
- Knowledge of spacecraft planning systems would be useful
- Knowledge of HLA will be an advantage
- Must be eligible to work in the UK
- Willing to travel to customer sites
- Security Clearance (or a willingness to undergo the process of acquiring it) is desirable