Spacecraft Modelling and Simulation Software Engineer
Direct Entry Job Permanent Bristol, UK
Uploaded 15 Oct 2018
SCISYS delivers a wide range of software services, solutions and consultancy to our clients, such as the European Space Agency. We develop robust, real-world software and provide supporting services that create real benefit to our customers. SCISYS solutions are frequently at the core of our clients' operations and therefore critical to their business. For example, we are delivering software that will navigate a rover on Mars, allows spacecraft controllers to develop their operational procedures or investigate novel data transfer mechanisms between a spacecraft and Earth. Delivering these solutions requires partnership and mutual trust, which we pride ourselves on and promote amongst our workforce.
Working for SCISYS is always both challenging and rewarding. Our staff are enthusiastic self-starters who thrive in a dynamic environment. At all stages of your career you will be responsible for the quality of your work. You should be able to work to deadlines, have good inter-personal skills and be flexible as regards moving from project to project and in assimilating new technologies. Potential is quickly recognised and rewarded appropriately, and the experience you will gain through working in diverse market sectors and on a variety of projects is second to none.
About the Role
High-fidelity spacecraft functional engineering simulators are used to: perform system sizing and trade-offs; perform mission analysis and feasibility; validate guidance, navigation and control strategies; and to test the on-board control algorithms for robustness and performance.
SCISYS has developed spacecraft simulators for over 10 years for the European Space Agency for important missions such as Galileo, Gaia, Aeolus and Sentinels 2 & 3. We have developed the innovative EAGLE Entry Descent and Landing (EDL) simulator which is now being used to support guidance, navigation and control analysis, design and verification for missions to Mars and the Moon.
We are experiencing a high degree of growth and diversifying our products and capabilities. We therefore have the opportunity for an ambitious software engineer with experience within the Modelling and Simulation field.
Candidates should detail the level of their expertise and experience in spacecraft systems engineering in the cover letter accompanying their application.
- A degree in Mathematics, Physics or Space Engineering (1st Class or 2:1)
- Knowledge of spacecraft systems, flight dynamics and spacecraft control system dynamics
- Knowledge of Matlab/Simulink and C++.
- Experience of the full software lifecycle from requirements to delivery
- Knowledge of Object Oriented Programming and design tools, such as UML, C++ or Java
- Knowledge of Fortran
- Knowledge of Linux systems specifically SLES 11
- Experience of real-time simulation
- Experience of the AOCS in spacecraft
- Must be eligible to work and live in the UK and Germany
- Flexible for travel and short term relocation to Germany, Holland or elsewhere in Europe, when needed
- Possess fluency in English (verbal and written)
- Able to integrate easily into the existing team, both technically and socially
- Able to interpret and write Technical Documentation
- Willing to undergo security clearance processes