Future Projects & Exploration
Internship 6 months Brussels, Belgium
Uploaded 25 Nov 2018
The successful candidate will be based in our main office at Sint-Stevens-Woluwe (Brussels Area). Internships are available at the Future Projects and Exploration Team (Systems Department). The Team is responsible for the study, design, prototyping, and testing of enabling technologies for commercially-enabled future missions. The candidate will mainly report to Future Projects and Exploration Team Lead.
What Do We Offer?
- Working in a growing company with Staff located in Belgium, Germany, the Netherlands and the USA
- Under certain conditions, a monthly lump sum allowance
- A professional, pleasant atmosphere with motivated and passionate Staff, where autonomy and initiatives are encouraged
Tasks and Responsibilities
The Team is seeking top talent currently enrolled in University studies, for joining our team as an intern, in our efforts to contribute to Europe’s objective of the sustainable return to the Moon, and to the expansion of humankind into the Solar System.
Duties for technical internships typically include a selection of the following:
- Supporting the Team in the design and development of electro-/mechanical and processing systems for exploration and In-Situ Resource Utilisation (ISRU)
- Supporting the Team in system and subsystem trade-off, designing, prototyping, prototype de-bugging, functional verification and optimisation
- Supporting the design and breadboarding of prototypes in the context of the ALCHEMIST studies, part of the ESA ISRU Demonstration Mission (https://www.spaceapplications.com/news/an-alchemist-on-the-moon/)
- Supporting the research, design and developing novel systems for the deployment of low-cost payloads by Rovers at the Lunar surface in the context of the Lunar Volatiles Mobile Instrumentation project (LUVMI) (https://www.luvmi.space)
- Supporting of preparation of Earth-based analogue integrated test missions for the robotic and human exploration of the Moon and Mars.
- Supporting spacecraft systems engineering tasks and conduction of Concurrent Design sessions
- Supporting studies related to future human spaceflight and exploration of the solar system
- Creating visualisation of concepts in 2D, 3D
Depending on the Thesis/Internship’s scope of work, a selection of the following is desirable:
- Currently enrolled in Engineering (Mechanical, Aerospace, Electrical, Software, Mining) or Science (Geology, Earth, Lunar, Physics), 3D visualization/simulation, or similar university programs
- Hands-on experience (university projects, professional or DIY) in electrical, mechanical and/or electromechanical prototyping
- CAD design skills, 3D renderings (Blender, others) and conceptual illustration, 3D printing
- Basic knowledge of international spaceflight programmes
- Programming languages (e.g. C++, Python, Matlab…), Labview or embedded electronics for prototyping (i.e. Arduino), real-time simulation would be advantageous (Unity, others)
Other Jobs at Space Applications Services NV/SA
No jobs currently available.