Internship - New EUMETSAT Data Collection System (DCS) Performance Analysis
Internship 6 months Darmstadt, Germany
Uploaded 11 Jan 2019
EUMETSAT have five internships available starting in early 2019.
Data Collection Systems are provided by several geostationary meteorological satellite operators, giving almost total coverage around the world, except the Polar Regions. The DCS is particularly useful for the collection of data from remote and inhospitable locations where it may provide the only possibility for data relay. The Meteosat satellites located at 0° longitude, and over the Indian Ocean, acquire DCP data, in the form of observations and environmental parameters, from operators of DCP, which are located within the footprint of the satellites.
New Data Collection Platform (DCP) receivers have been developed in the frame of the new EUMETSAT’s Geostationary Programme i.e. MTG (Meteosat Third Generation). The new receivers are fully developed in software and are able to increase the capacity of the EUMETSAT’s DCS.
The purpose of this internship is to study and analyse through simulations and ad-hoc software tools the performance margins of the DCP receivers. The new S/W simulation tools shall be developed or tailored to allow parameterisation of the different scenarios, including extreme degraded cases.
- Review existing DCP Receivers design and Test Tools documentation;
- Familiarisation with the DCP Receiver software and software Test tools;
- Generate a set of operational and non-operational scenarios aiming at measuring the performance margins of the new DCP receivers;
- Tailor and configure the software Test tools in order to run the selected operational and non-operational scenarios;
- Evaluate the performance of such receiver under the different scenarios;
- Propose and fine tune the DCP receiver configuration based on the different scenarios and run end-to-end tests with the selected receiver configurations;
- Generate corresponding reports and Technical Notes (as needed);
- Generate a final technical report.
Note this internship is unpaid for students but paid for graduates.
- Good understanding of modern signal processing techniques
- Good understanding of space telecommunications systems
- Practical experience in either C, C++ or MatLab
- Practical experience in reading and assessing technical documentation
- Final year MSc studies in Telecommunication or equivalent. Applications from post-graduate students will be studied on a case-by-case basis.
- Candidates must be able to work effectively in English and have some knowledge of French.
Experiences in the following are additional assets:
- Geostationary or Earth observation satellite ground station architectures
- EUMETSAT’s MSG and or MTG communications architecture